- Category: Leadership
Presenter: Tim Westerberg
Workshop Time: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (Two Day)
Registration time: 8:30 am
Registration fee: $375 ($325 for Texas ASCD members) Includes the Tim Westerberg book, "Creating the High Schools of Our Choice"
Please contact our office at 512.477.8200 to schedule this academy at your location.Summary: This interactive academy is for principals, teachers, and members of high school leadership teams interested in examining the beliefs, policies, practices and procedures of high schools that have gone from good to great. Particular emphases are placed on building a “we-expect-success” school culture, improving instruction, and building broad-based leadership capacity. The overarching goals of the academy are to stimulate reflection, build knowledge and skills, and strengthen commitments to improving student performance.
The 6 + 1 high school redesign process uses models and practical examples from leading high school renewal writers, researchers, and practitioners, as well as from the presenter’s experiences as a high school principal for twenty-six years, to explore gaps between best practice and common practice in our high schools. Specific goal of the 6 + 1 training include:
• making effective classroom instruction and assessment the focus of high school renewal efforts;
• improving instructional capacity;
• establishing, and obtaining, high performance standards for all students;
• improving the overall culture and climate of the school;
• developing leadership capacity in district supervisors, principals and other building leaders;
• increasing overall student achievement.
Professional development, coaching, and mentoring are offered to sustain long-term, comprehensive high school transformation.